This was another excellent Harrison Lewis walk led by James.
We met at the St Agatha’s Tower, more commonly referred to as the Red Tower. This tower is more like a mini-fort, built in the style of the Wignacourt Towers, and was completed by Grand Master Lascaris in 1649. It holds a commanding position on Malta’s most northerly ridge (Marfa Ridge) with 360 degree views over Gozo, Comino and Northern Malta.
We made our way down the steep Northern slopes of Marfa Ridge and across to the cliffs overlooking Paradise Bay. Then south along the line of the cliffs, stopping for lunch on the way, before ascending to join Triq tad-Dahar (“Back Road”). We turned right to visit the rather alarmingly-named Ras tal-Qammieħ (“Jumper’s Head”) a high clifftop overlooking well-kept undercliff farmland.
Most of the group returned along Triq tad-Dahar to the red tower but a few hardy souls descended to the farmland and climbed back up to the tower by the pleasantly wooded slopes.